While in Times Square we headed to the Toys R Us located there, had a wander around the massive shop and had a ride on their ferris wheel. That's right, there's a freaking ferris wheel in the middle of the shop. It's not as big or exciting as Wonderland's Zodiac, but it's still over 3 stories tall.

Then we headed over to Bryant Park in order to skate on the outdoor rink they had set up in the middle of the park. It was awesome! Amelia took a while to warm up to it all, but in the end she had a great time.
A picture of us before we went skating.
Amelia skating with Jess.
"Don't put your tongue on the ice!"
After our skating expedition we headed over to Radio City for the Christmas Spectacular. Amelia had a fantastic time watching all the dancers and the other performances despite the fact she was waaaay overdue for a sleep, which bodes well for our future theatre plans. Apparently she was riveted the whole way through the hour and a bit show. And I say 'apparently' because I had intentions of having a quiet wander through the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). My first mistake was heading in entirely the wrong direction. Actually, that was pretty much my main mistake. I eventually got there quite a bit later, but when I did I saw a huge crowd of people in weaving lines waiting to pay to get in, and official people yelling at the masses telling them where to go. This gives me the opportunity to briefly outline one of the key differences between Sydney and New York. Due to a combination of content and culture, MoMA draws in huge crowds to see art that has been created in the last 100 years. I am used to the Sydney equivalent, the Museum of Contemporary Arts (MCA) which is perfect for a quiet, uninterrupted wander, where you would be lucky to see more than 20 people at any given time. The amount of incredible art and talented performers in NY is just indicative of the rich cultural heart of the city. As I've often said, there is more going on in your average Manhattan block than in the entire city of Sydney (but perhaps not Melbourne). Anyhow, I put off the MoMA visit for 5 or 6 days, when it should be a little quieter.
After Jess and Amelia had finished at the Christmas Spectacular and I had finished not going to MoMA, we headed back to the apartment wear my parents looked after Amelia, and Jess and I went out for dinner. We caught the subway to Little Italy and had the most amazing Italian meal ever.
Tomorrow we head off to Cooperstown, via Laguardia Airport to pickup a piece of baggage we forgot when we arrived (oops).
No comments:
Post a Comment