Sunday, January 10, 2010

USA - Days 31 & 32

Washington DC has some many things to do. Mammoth monuments, millions of museums, many political buildings (sorry, I couldn't maintain the alliteration). There are over 20 museums (most of them huge) all placed within walking distance of each other which meant that you could easily spend 2 weeks there and still miss out on some. So we've had to pick and choose very carefully. But first some happy snaps.



This a picture of Jess and Amelia with the Capitol Building in the background. And it was cold.







Us with the Washington Monument in the background. Did I mention it was cold?

We started off at the Air and Space Museum which was huge. We wondered through the various section and Amelia told me no uncertain terms that I had to take a picture with her in front of this exhibit. So here it is.



After about 3 hours I headed to the Hirshhorn Museum (a museum of modern art) and Jess headed to the Museum of the American Indian. The Hirshhorn was having a large amount of their exhibits under construction and I wasn't particularly impressed by their displayed collection, so I headed off to the Museum of Natural History. It has an outstanding collection of fossils, and another highlight was their special exhibit on Darwin which was the most succinct and clear explanation I have seen of such a complex subject.

Jess and Amelia joined me, and I got to visit all the animal displays again. Here's a picture of Amelia with a monkey:



The next day we returned with the intention of seeing a great deal more, but all we managed was half of the 30-stop bus tour and one museum, the 'Newseum'. As the name would suggest it is a museum about the news, and it was outstanding. We managed to work our way through most of it, but it took us about 2 hours. Here's a picture I took from the top story of the Newseum:


Well we're not museumed out just yet, we're heading back tomorrow to see how many more we can do until our intellectual curiosity (and Amelia) can't take any more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment